Do Your Eyes Hurt After LASIK Eye Surgery?
When it comes to myths surrounding LASIK surgery, this is one we hear all too often — LASIK surgery and/ or the recovery is painful. We couldn’t be more delighted to tell you that, that is anything but true!
Does the LASIK Procedure Hurt?
In short — no! Before the procedure begins, your doctor will place a few numbing drops in your eye. This will alleviate any pain or discomfort you could feel during the procedure. You can also talk to your doctor about taking an oral medication before the procedure to help you relax.
Is LASIK Recovery Painful?
Once again, the answer is no! LASIK surgery requires no stitches or real downtime. While some patients have experienced blurry vision, mild itching, or dry eyes for a few hours following the procedure, almost no one has experienced pain during their roughly one day recovery period.
Because your cornea acts as a natural bandage, Dr. Wasserman is able to lay the flap he created down on your eye, thus speeding up the healing process. Most patients are able to go back to their normal lives and activities within as little as one to two days.
LASIK Recovery Tips
To enjoy the most comfortable and effective recovery after LASIK surgery, it’s important that patients:
- Get plenty of rest the day of their surgery.
- Use prescription eye drops as instructed.
- Wear eye shields or sunglasses as instructed.
- Not wear eye makeup for a few days.
- Attend all follow-up appointments with their surgeon.
- LASIK — The Safest and Most Popular Elective Procedure Performed Today
- LASIK has been FDA-approved since 1995 and performed over 20 million times. Having been declared a safe and effective method for treating astigmatism, nearsightedness, and farsightedness by the FDA, we can definitively say that LASIK is, overall, safe and painless.
If you want more information about LASIK surgery and the recovery period, or are ready to schedule a free consultation, contact us today!